Friday, July 11, 2008

Physician Shadowing

I completed my physician shadowing for the summer. I had to shadow 2 docs for a week each. The first doc I shadowed was a radiation oncologist. I LOVED IT!!! I really enjoyed seeing patients again. I liked going to the office each day and on Fridays we went to the operating room and put radioactive seeds in prostates. It was pretty cool. We worked with a urologist who seriously looked like a garden gnome. I wanted to put him in green pants with red suspenders and a red party hat with gold designs on it and put him in my front yard. One pet peeve I did pick up is that it's your prostate not your prostRate!!! I liked the doc I worked with and I think he liked me because he invited me back for an extra OR day and he told me I could do a 3rd or 4th year rotation with him. That's cool. I think rad-onc is something I could do.

The second doc was an orthopaedic surgeon. I HATED IT!!! I was really disappointed because I thought ortho was something I would enjoy. I just didn't like dealing with sprained ankles and problems that you really couldn't see. Alot of the cases were "elective" too, they weren't necessary. I guess I want my work to be necessary.

No comments: